Thursday, September 22, 2011

Yay - dog distraction - but impressive recall for Storm

Ok, this is not a stray dog picture - but I didn't have my camera handy, so a show of the cattle currently next door must do.

That's the cattle and the fence ...  not a real obstacle ...
This evening we went down to the gate area for a bit of pushing. Walking down the driveway, the cattle was not even noticed.
All went well, nice pushing.  Then there was a stray dog by the gate ....and both dogs went running to him, briefly barking ...and  I called and waved them both back and they came ...Storm ready for a BIG push. We did this a couple of times ...calling the "ready" as he was running towards the other dog ...and not only did he hear me, but he turned abound for an even bigger and very enthusiastic push. Then ANOTHER dog arrived and the 2 of them wandered off, unfortunately our deaf shakti running with them - and I have no way to call him...and THAT was too much distraction for Stormy ...3 dogs running off ...he had to follow them.

Now I know why to always use the long line - duh...
They came running back pretty soon though.

Regarding the playing and grabbing the ball on the way to get him to tug - very slow progress towards any actually tugging - it's like he does not dare ...what if he has a toothache? just kidding....

So much for the update - I like the effect of the pushing -  can't quite put my finger on it....

No comments:

Post a Comment