Friday, September 30, 2011

First real tug - way to go Stormeeeeee


Ok, so Storm has been more enthusiastic going after the tennis ball, generally dropping it as soon as his teeth have touched it for more that a second. He has not yet given a real tug with it, but is getting exited having it in his mouth as he knows a treat follows soon. So I went to the store to get some supplies to try out various toys and to make some. I want to find/make something he'll like to bite.




Among the bought items was a rawhide pretzel, and, little smartypants can smell something chewable and even though it is a very hard "toy", he decided that he might like it as a prize.

This picture here is during his first real tug at anything - 3 or 4 seconds....and then I let him have it. He dropped it right away when I offered a piece of the warmed up and "smelly" chicken. Plan: to work with this AND the ball until I can make a toy, or a few ...and gradually keep rewarding him more and more for the longer "tugs" or holding it between his teeth occasions.

I play tug/get the ball between "pushings" - it still is fun - and he like to chase me :). And it is totally true - when they chase you, they are more inclined to bite the toy - or in this case, grab the ball or rawhide-pretzel.

I should say that I still do find it strange that some dogs are so inhibited that they won't tug-bite. Not sure if we got him like this or not, as I have only really started working with him on this 5 weeks ago, and he is 3 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment