Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tug of War update for Storm - he now LOVES it

Ok, It is now January 15. I found out about Natural Dog Training 5 months ago in August of 2011, and soon afterwards started pushing with our rat terrier. This was my only recourse as he seemed not only not to know what to do with a tug toy ...he seemed to have an aversion for it.

However, one of the main ways to be with your dog in the Natural Dog training is tug of war, later to
become push of war. If you recall, Storm would not even hold anything in his mouth, let alone tug.
We went via a ball to rawhide tug toys to a self made one.

In general ->Our relationship is entirely different. I love it, and him (and he is not my dog, for those of you who do not know)

Today I am happy to report that this past week he started tugging - I have only done it in the mornings, when he is most exited to play. He tugged real hard (for him) ...and  occasionally now proudly carries off his prey. I never thought he would show signs of LOVING tug of war. I admit, I only have 1 toy ...tried a number of them, had to go the route of a braided chew to get him to bite, then made my own...but I have not made a second one. 

SOOO happy - and so is he.

Plan: make identical toy and play it alternating....with more and more intensity.

I should mention, though I do not know if it is related, that Storm now also pushes WAY harder and with enthusiasm. ...for about 2 weeks now. The exception to this is when we visit the selter and go for walks outside on the paths there. I can tell it stressed him out because sometimes he won't even take food, depending on the smell in a particular spot. He has pushed though near the side yard where other dogs are, and has smelled some across the fence without his hair standing up. But that is a whole other story. I want to eventually bring shelter dogs to where he lives, and the way things are atm, that is not an option.

Now our other dog, an Australian shepherd - deaf - is also refusing to tug. ...he won't touch a tug toy, won't run after anything, looks away - and act WAY to submissive most of the time. But since I am working to have chickens this year ...I think it would be good if he became a more normal dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment