Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 3 Pushing with Storm - Natural Dog Training basics

Ok, today was the 3rd day of "pushing" with Stormy, our 3 y old rat terrier. I do the pushing twice a day for 10-15 minutes at mealtime, and before he gets the rest of the meal.
I read about pushing on Natural Dog Training sites, but this description, here on Neil Sattin's natural Dog Blog was particularly useful.

Storm (more about him later) already had
been so much better as a result of being part of Skye being trained, however, he still barks quite vigorously at visitors, with it still being difficult to let go of, and can get easily distracted by cats and rodents and other animals, horse back riders or folks on bikes. His reactions to dogs is also still challenging. My goal is to get him so turned on to me in high energy situations, that turnigng towards me, or another handler,  will become the instinctual better choice rather than running after something. I would like him to behave around people and other dogs in a way that we can all relax. I would like him to have a 100% recall.

The first 2 pushing  times (day 1) were just getting started to the physics. There were a couple of instances where Stormy stopped and sat, looking away. So I backed off a bit.The first day was just light touch and little pressure.Today, day 3, I acted a bit more exited and had him run after me just a little, in other words, getting him a bit more reved up, for a couple of minutes. Then we went on to pushing. He was pushing quite well, and it is fun.There is a bit of variation in the way you can do this. I also started to use the word push very excitedly when my hand is on his chest.

We were at the end of the driveway and he had seen the neighbor's horse in the meadow just across from the gate (it usually is way on the other side) and started running towards it - but came right back when called. I then went out there on purpose - still doing the exercise...and he totally ignored the horse. A little later a car came by with a kid on a bike following (very unusual). He alerted and his neck hairs started going up - but no growling and he was easily distracted back. So far so good.

So, eh let's review the set-up
  1. You want to have the tastiest bite-sized morsels of food that you can supply. ---yes, we do have very tasty treats. He is getting smelly chicken bits and he us a very treat oriented little guy.
  2. For starters, your dog should be hungry. --- hm - he is, but could be hungrier if fasted (not possible atm). He does LOOOOVE food though.
  3. Put a long lead on your dog. --- still waiting for it to arrive, but basically I forgot - I have a 15 foot lead which may be ok for the moment.
  4. Put the food in an easily accessible food pouch. ---, yes, makeshift pouch
  5. Find an open area, free from distraction (for starters). --- he is an outside dogs and free of distractions proves to be relative.
So, we're just doing ok on the set up.

Reviewing the technique (you can do so here on Neil Sattin's natural Dog ) - ok, i'll have to make the adjustment of calling his name, makes sense. I forgot about that - just using "ready"
With Storm, going extra gradual did not seem necessary.

Our other dog is quite another matter. He is deaf, and has some issues around food, as in he does not even chew and he will guard a bone with his life,  well, almost. So I keep him on the leash for the morning and work with them separately, and differently.  In the evening, they take turns. They are, by now, used to "wait".

Ok, it is late, but I wanted to get this down as it is already day 3. The response I saw with Stormy today was encouraging.
What I most like is the we both seem to actually really like this exercise. It is fun. Stormy will have nothing of Tug of War ...but maybe at some point, I can teach him that too.
Compared to the training for food (Storm will do just about anything for food),  something else really does seem to be happening, get satisfied during the pushing exercise. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment